The African Centre for a Green Economy (AfriCGE), is a Think Tank and innovation hub supporting the transition to a new/green economy in Africa. AfriCGE was founded in 2012, to provide a platform for emerging sustainable leaders in Africa to champion the transition to a green and inclusive economy. Since its founding, AfriCGE has been instrumental in advancing thought leadership on green economy in Africa, through its research, capacity building and green business incubation programmes.
Our vision is to inspire a generation of change makers to help Africa transition to a new and just economy that promotes human wellbeing and environmental sustainability.
To achieve our vision, we we provide thought leadership, raise awareness and promote green innovations to empower those at the base of the pyramid, and influence policy.
AfriCGE offers short term internships (3- 6 months), to postgraduate students or recent graduates with a Masters or PhD degrees. These science, innovation and business internships are open to all candidates with interests in the following areas:
- Green/new Economics
- Financial innovations for sustainable development
- Agriculture and food security
- Water resources management
- Sustainable energy solutions
- Climate change adaptation and low carbon strategies
- Development/science communications
To qualify for these internships, applications must meet the following requirements:
- Be a post graduate student (i.e. masters and doctoral candidates) and/or recent graduates with advanced degrees (Masters/PhD/MBA/LLM etc.) in natural, environmental, social, economic and political sciences.
- Have strong research and/or administrative skills; website management skills will be desirable
- Be detail-oriented;
- Be able to work independently and collectively as part of a group;
- Experience in working on green economy issues, with a focus on applying its principles for empowering those at the base of the pyramid.
- Candidates must be independent and have the ability to support themselves in Cape Town, South Africa (accommodation, transportation, subsistence, health insurance)
- The internship is open to all nationalities.
SPECIFIC INTERNSHIPS RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting research, writing and/or copy editing papers and newsletters for publication;
- Assisting with the planning, coordination, and execution of programs, meetings, events and other special projects;
- Supporting AfriCGE’s outreach and communications operations;
- Updating and managing contact databases;
- Assisting with content management of websites;
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
Support provided by AfriCGE
AfriCGE will provide the following during the internship:
- Basic infrastructure including but not limited to office space, internet, and telephone services.
- A conducive environment for learning and conducting green economy research
- Opportunity for interaction with, and mentorship by experienced research fellows and experts in green economy
- Participation in national and regional capacity building initiatives organized by AfriCGE and its partners.